Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Determining.

I have been alive for 18 years, 7 months, 11 days, and 12 hours. Given, that was my exact moment of birth, not necessarily when I was conceived. For that I could not give a specific time. And I am quite thankful for that actually. But in the 18 years, 7 months, 11 days, and 12 hours that I have been a physical being on planet earth, I have learned many things.
I wish to share 3 of them right now.
perhaps 4. we'll see.

1. It is easy to forgive.
-Those who don't forgive have miserable lives. How could you possibly go through your life being intolerable of those who make mistakes. Everyone screws up. It's human nature. As shakespeare said way back in the day. "To err is human." However, those who cannot find in their hearts to forgive and move on from the err of others, I feel sorry for. It is simple consideration for others, and it is a sign of understanding. It's not fair to expect people to not mess up, and to not be okay with them messing up. To blow off the scale like the San Andres Fault is peculiar and slightly inhumane. Understanding is a basic human attribute. One that takes practice to perfect, but one that is significantly important.

2. Love is all powerful
-I have seen love. True love. And I have seen the love that people fake. I have seen love for material things, and imaginary things. Love for animals, music, art, sex, whatever. But true love, is all powerful. And regardless if that true love is a person or your bottle of jaeger, whatever you love the most is what you WILL sacrifice the most for. Now, we can all hope that someone won't have found a true love before we walk into their lives, and then we can take over that passion. But some, some already have a love deeply engrained in the fibers of their beings. But this should not be taken lightly, for some, it is the love of power, or money, not something so innocent as music or bubbles. Love can change someone, in fact, it usually does. And it is a drug. It's addicting, it is the most incredible high. It completely fills you from head to toe with the most powerful joy you have ever felt. And it washes over you, and it's the best feeling, in the whole world. That is a fact. What is frightening, is the extremes it can take you to. Love can make you a monster, sometimes a good one, like Shrek, other times, not so much. But regardless, it is the most powerful thing on earth. And I swear, only when we can figure out how to harvest love, can we get rid of the power of money.

3. Life is a challenge
-There is nothing easy about life, and whoever begs to differ, is ignorant. Life is about struggle, and failing, and winning, and decisions, and confusion, and bewilderment, excitement, and sorrow. It is everything all wrapped up into one. It is everchanging. There is nothing predictable about life, and those who try so desperately to control it are in for a very hard and disappointing ride. That's why you have friends, and family. They are the ones who help you through your life, make the good parts better and the bad parts not so bad. And you, in turn, help them. It is hard, to make it through life, but everyone does.

4. Listen.
This is the most important thing I have learned in my whole life. There is nothing more important than listening. And not just hearing, but actually listening. It is hard to do. To try and turn off your brain while someone is speaking, and just actively listen to what they are saying. Be in tuned to how they are feeling and relate to them. This is so difficult for so many people, even I still struggle with this. But it's about not being selfish. Thinking AFTER someone speaks, not about what you're going to say to them before they are even finished. Just stop. Breathe. And listen. And not just to people. Listen to yourself. Your surroundings. Your body. Pay attention. All the small things can become very big things. And life becomes easier to handle, when you know what you're doing. Slow down. Not everything is a race. Regardless of what America says. It's okay to just be.

In 18 years, 7 months, 11 days, and, well... 12 hours and 15 minutes now, I have learned many things. But especially these things. And they are important in my life, and perhaps the lives of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment