Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Dancing

I remembered the way you smelled, clear, blue, and free.
I followed the trail all the way to the nape of your neck,
where I lost myself while we danced in a sea full of strangers.
My hands in your hair, wondering if it was okay to touch you like this.
Every graze of your body on mine was a shockwave.
Every hum of the words from your chest, penetrating my fingertips.
How do I keep you?
How do I hold onto this moment?
How do I stay here, for the rest of my days,
every moment waiting to be shocked back to life with the sensation of your smile on my cheek?
I'm paralyzed by what might happen next.
I'm high on hope and low on guard.
What happens when the music stops?
What happens to this slow and steady sway?
I close my eyes and evaporate into this moment,
praying for infinity, and seismically feeling every second.
The beats and strums from the speaker slow, the ones in my chest hasten.
The crowd comes alive, as if they could understand that word like I do now.
You kiss my cheek, I lose my knees.
You pull away from me, and let the cold foreign air between us.
I'm pulling from you like the spoon in a honey jar.
This can't be over so soon, this tiny nirvana.
The room is coming back into focus, the sensations back into my feet.
Was it always this loud in here?
Did it always have this smell?
I know I have to turn around soon, to face the stage and leave your eyes.
Just one more breath of that clear blue freedom, before we become you and I again.


No comments:

Post a Comment